Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Firenze

Bologna is a very serene and peaceful city being a university town and all. There are attractions there but mostly historical buildings and churches with several great artworks found here and there. Only when we there we found out there is an international airport but airlines like France Air would take you direct to Kuala Lumpur. Something to consider seriously as I would love to go back there again and really explore the city.

After 2 nights in Bologna we took a drive to Florence or known to the locals as Firenze. Don't understand why they don't just call it Firenze. We thought it would be a long drive but not so. We took less than 2 hours. Once we got into the outskirts of the town it took us longer to get to the hotel because we arrived just after 5 or so and got caught in after office traffic.

Driving around the city I actually saw a sign pointing out to a sex shop. hmmmmmm .... Anyways, the drive from Bologna to Firenze was mostly on the highway but even then we could still catch glimpses of scenic views like this:


What is my take on Firenze? I love it. The old architecture, the cobbled streets, the historical buildings. The air. Everything. We spent 3 nights there and you know what? Not enough. I didn't get to go into the Uffizi, I didn't get to see the Gardens, I didn't get to go on that famous street on the bridge where there are jewellers, I didn't get to see the Duomo up close. I know! We had 3 nights. Day 1 we arrived late already and just walked around a bit, looked for dinner and retired. Got up Day 2 and Bob decided he wanted to drive back to Bologna to get more "stuff" from his bike shops. So I wondered around Firenze and saved it all to do with him. Day 3 we only managed to do the Michael Angelo Square to catch the gorgeous view.

We had time to see the Salvatore Ferragamo museum, something I have always wanted to do but was disappointed though. There was a tribute to Greta Garbo on so I could not see all of Ferragamo's work of art like I wanted to. The boutique was very nice though.

This was our last chance to shop so we shopped lah. And we discovered everything on foot. We only walked along the Tombuoni Street and some streets off of it which is hardly an inch of the city. But isn't it gorgeous?!

This is the hotel where we stayed. Club Plaza. It belongs to a chain of hotel BH Group. They own a whole group of hotels along the street. Good business this hotels!

However, when we left Florence to head to Rome we stopped at The Mall. Its a factory outlet place and really some good buys there. You get brands like Gucci, Ferragamo, Zegna, Bottega and Dior. Next time I will just head straight for these outlets to shop. Really good bargains!

When we were at The Mall, Bob made a beeline for Zegna and I waited at the cafe and had a really good cup of hot chocolate Italian style which might as well have been chocolate mousse! Whatever it is, it was delicious. Writing this now makes me wish I had a cup infront of me. Looking at the machine, I really believe it is just melted chocolate.

This is a beautiful postcard of Firenze from the top of Michael Angelo Square. You can see the whole city and most major sights from here. It really helped that the sky was good that day.


Oh ya! In Firenze we stayed at 2 hotels. This is the first hotel we stayed at. It also belongs to the BH Group. I just loved the courtyard. Could imagine having scones and hot chocolate accompanied with cannolas here everyday. Sigh .... a dream but a good dream eh!

This overpowering door was along the street where we stayed. It was night and we were looking for food but I was so taken by this door: its size, built and strength! Not sure what is inside actually. If I researched the guidebooks enough I am sure I could find out what it is.

HAH! I found a pasta vending machine. Can you beat that?!? You could have olio, carbonaro or just tomato sauce. Imaginative eh!

Shopping on the streets of Firenze ..... love the cobbled lanes and side streets. I could live there for sure!


That's the Ferragamo building. Yup, a whole building. Offices, boutique and the museum. Was very nice indeed!

A breath taking view of the city. There was so many angles to take from ....

I find the city very romantic. So between Paris and Firenze and Bologna? It is a hard choice. Oh ya ... and Besancon, another romantic city.

We only saw glimpses of two countries and already undecided or where we would consider staying. Yup, you read right. Consider staying. I love Europe ....Maybe I should not be too hasty in consider staying as we were only there for a 2 week holiday. I can see us there, that's all. And there is nothing wrong with a dream is there.

See how they keep trees from hundreds of years ago and not chop everything down. If we were in Malaysia the trees would be taken away to make way for what? More buildings which will be empty anyway.

And this is a jail. More than a hundred years old. It is still there and there is NO INTENTION of TAKING IT DOWN. IT IS A HISTORICAL SITE.

Ahhhh .... The Uffizi. Wait .... I will be back to visit you! All around the Uffizi there are vendors selling knick knacks and Florentine leather. The best quality and some of the designs are really fantastic. Wearing it no one would actually know what a bargain you got it for. Did I buy some? Need you ask!

I love the windows and doors in Europe. I think I took tonnes of pictures of these. Windows, doors, walls, bricks.

We took the hop on hop off bus and even then we didn't finish seeing the entire city. What a waste but seriously folks, we have to go there again. I feel there was not enough time on our hands and it does not help that places close early. Even if we start early in the day. If you want to take a walking tour you have to stay longer. At least a week.
My plans now is to find a way to go back there!!!

No comments: