Friday, May 15, 2009

May 14

My wedding anniversay falls on May 14. It was on this day 11 years ago that Bob and I got married. Sometimes I can't believe it has been that long. All the ups and downs of life and marriage. All the tests and challenges we were faced with througout the 11 years. All the good and bad times. Through thick and thin.

I am thankful for the 11 years that we have and God willing there will be more to come.

There are so many things in a marriage that makes life difficult, good, fun (at times) and fulfilling. I have matured over these 11 years or at least I would like to believe so. And despite what my husband thinks, I know that I have grown a lot, especially over the last few years. I can't say there were no problems along the way. If there were no problems it wouldn't be a marriage rite!?! (hahahaha) But alhamdullillah, we got through them and I hope we will continue to go through the rest of them with a level head.

Many a times my girlfriends and I would talk about marriage and husbands (and in-laws) *wink* and we usually conclude the same things: after years of marriage it is not so much about love anymore but the commitment. It is sad when we conclude this. Of course there is still love but the love has evolved into a different phase (hhhmmmm....are you buying this!) On a serious note, marriage is not about that falling head over heels in love feeling when you were in your teens. It is about commitment, responsibility and compromise. Giving and taking (or shall I just say giving!) is mostly what's it about.

Some of my girlfriends take more and some give more. There is a difference betwen being a push over and a go getter. We have all of them in our circle of friends. In the end I believe it is what you want it to be. If we let every little thing get to you, sigh .. you won't have much happiness for yourself.

Know that song, smile when your heart is lonely, smile when your heart is aching? Well, many of us have mastered that art. I have come to point of saying what's the point? Just let it go and live anyway!

So, the secret is carrying the WHATEVER attitude and smiling ...

Happy Anniversary My Dearest Husband

1 comment:

Murni said...

Hi Hayati,

Happy belated anniversary!
I somehow felt sad reading your blog. Being a new wife, I have so much hopes and dreams for my marriage especially when it comes to the spark and the romance. I guess I'm naive.

I am learning that it is alot about compromise espcially now that we have a child together - i.e. We have to compromise on how we want to bring him up.

A friend once told me that there are 2 types of love - "romantic love" and "practical love". "Romantic love" is the butterflies in the stomach, the longing looks, etc... which usually happens at the beginning of a relationship. This "romantic love" can transition into nothingness (when the relationship dissolves which usually happens after 6 months) or to "practical love" which is all about responsibility and commitment. I guess this is what makes marriages strong and lasts long - as demonstrated by your lasting marriage. Whatever it is, it is still LOVE and that's what matters.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me via your blog. I'm learning alot from you.