Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ramadhan is here

The Ramadhan is just around the corner. Something many of us look forward to. This year I have to try to get my girls to fast a few more extra days. My eldest is very petite and many always say she will disappear if she doesn't eat enough! Last year I made them fast a least for half a day and they would eat before they go to school. Being in afternoon school the hours and heat may get a bit strenuous on them. During the weekends they would try a bit harder to fast the whole day.


My second daughter likes to eat and she is always hungry so asking her to fast is a big feat indeed. I have been mentally preparing them and this year they seemed a bit more prepared. What they like best about Ramadhan is having to wake up for sahur. Something I don't like! But now I have to set a good example so I have to get up for Sahur and have more than my usual glass of water. There is something about waking up to eat when you are so comfortable under the covers.

Then if we were fasting in London or Australia wouldn't it be fun as we have shorter hours too. But then the cold might make us feel otherwise.

The other part many people like about Ramadhan is the Ramadhan bazaars in abundance. Many people I know don't bother to cook at all and just buy everything. Even we know which stalls to get the nice stuff from. But we are not always spoilt for choice as some people tend to sell the same things. Among the infamous stalls we must visit is the popiah man in Seksyen 14 where the queue starts at like 2pm or something. To be able to buy his popiah is an achievement indeed. Many people buy it by the dozens and sometimes all I want is 4 pieces. Maybe he should have an express lane where 5 or more have different lines. Ya, maybe I should suggest that to him.

After that one month then comes Raya and another headache starts. At least Bob and I don't have to argue about where we spend Raya. It will be at his mom's place in Bukit Mertajam first then only do we make our way down to Taiping to see my mom. Raya at his place is a big thing and he has many relatives. There is always so much to do which is why we always need to go back early. His mom will always have a whole long list of things to do.

What I would really like though is to experience Raya elsewhere. I mean I did when I was studying in the U.S.A but that was different, we were students then. Now that we have families maybe it would be different. But I doubt our mothers would welcome that idea very much.

Well, no harm in dreaming! Happy Ramadhan ....

No comments: