Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Family Gathering of Gargantuan Size

It was a family gathering of gargantuan size! It started with just a thought from an uncle of mine, Abg Zul and with some words of encouragemengt from a few of us, he decided to do it. Did it indeed. We expected some 500 pax only but I am sure we reached 1,000 people at least.

Let me tell you about Abg Zul first. He is my uncle from a great grand uncle line. This is all on my father's side by the way. I don't know how many of you feel the need to find your roots and I don't just mean as far as your grandfather. Abg Zul felt this need and he traced it back all the way till our great great grandfather. It took him a good eight years but he did it. I can't show you the entire family tree he drew out but let me tell you, it is IMPRESSIVE! We even have our own blog and are hooked up via Geni on the internet.

So this family gathering I am referring to was held 2nd day or Raya Qorban, Dec 9 at the Kamunting Hall in Taiping. I am the 4th generation by the way. We took a family picture and oh my! What an exercise it was for the photographer! There were so many of us just from that one particular section alone.

My great great grandfather is Haji Rauf who married Hjh Mariam. They had 8 kids and some of these children were left in Indonesia. This explains why I have relatives in Jakarta, Bandung and Acheh aka Medan. Each of these 8 children had kids and my grandfather, Jamil, comes from the child Sawiyah and her husband Hj Habib Hj Rais.

What Aby Zul has done was to trace each of these 8 children and their lineage. Can you picture it now? The children, their cucu and cicit even. Many people were so happy and impressed that Abg Zul took this effort. When I asked him why he said simple because I want to know my roots. But I must say that not many of us would have the drive or inspiration to be so patient to do this. He is by far a wonderful man. He has brought together cousins and aunties and uncles. He has introduced people to each other that you never even knew was your relative before this.

I took some pictures yesterday but it was mostly of the crowd to show you the size of the gathering. Will upload it a little later.

Sad to say thought that from my lineage, only me from the 4th generation and my aunty (3rd generation) and her kids(my cousins), who live in Taiping made it to the gathering. I did get the chance to meet my grand uncles and grand aunties and some of their children and and grand children. It was heartening really cause before this, I never knew they existed.

Thanks to Abg Zul, I also know where to find my family in Jakarta and Bandung now! Means next time can stay with them and save money for shopping! hahahahaha......

No comments: