Friday, December 19, 2008

The Road Trip Begins!

Sunday: Dec 14 2008

We woke up on a high note that morning and started rushing about the house seeing to last minute things. I woke up feeling a little out of it as I was suffering from a bad allergy attack due to my cousin's cat but I said let's go anyway. If we keep on postponing we might never go!
Bob loaded the carrier box which was just fixed on the day before, packed our other stuff in (believe me we had a lot! there was a recovery box, a food box (the MAGGI remember) and diapers and Ali's milk ....We loaded the kids in and we were off at 10.43am.

Our first destination was Bukit Mertajam. We were thinking of breaking the journey there but it seemed like the longest drive we ever took there because we knew we had a way longer drive ahead we stopped everywhere. To get water, to get panadol soluble for me, to go to the toilet...

Nadiah was seated right at the back and she was quite fast at making a bed shift bed for herself ... and as usual her snacks!
Oh yes! Forgot to tell you that Bob invested in a latest gadget that has proven to be very useful on the trip, a Garmin GPS (yes Ebi....) It talks really well too, no broken English, even in Thailand.

We finally arrived in Bukit Mertajam and decided to just visit the relatives and sleep nearer the border so we had a shorter drive the next day. We ended up in Sungai Petani which is quite good too considering I have never spent the night there.

Ali managed to hitch a ride from the bellboy when we got to the hotel we were staying at in Sungai Petani. It was the Park Avenue Hotel with a Pelita nearby. Since then, he can't seem to let any bellboy go, he wants a ride!

Monday Dec 15 2008:


We left Sungai Petani quite early and we were joined by family friends Uncle Sam and Kak Sharifah and their kids. Bob and I headed up first to the border as Sam had some car problems which required them to stop in Alor Star. We decided to visit Bob's uncle in Kuala Perlis...had a good lunch of ikan pekasam! It is nice and green up north in Perlis ... all the paddy fields as far as your eyes can see
We finally made our way to the Wang Kelian border about 4ish I believe. I also didn't take any pictures at the border. Why? It looked gray. We prefer using that border entry now cause it is not congested at all especially during the weekdays. We don't have to queue like usual in Bukit Kayu Hitam and there is no long long long line of lorries. I can't stand that. Besides the drives there is more pleasant, a bit windy but has a better feel to it. This picture is the drive up to Wang Kelian ... this is the valley below, nice and green, still preserved. I am sure some greedy person is wondering what he/she can do with it!!!

Even as you enter Thailand you feel calm ... cause the entry point was calm. The only thing is it closes at 6pm. But seriouslu, I advise you to try this checkpoint to Thailand next time, even the immigration officers on both sides are nicer!

1 comment:

Matapena said...

Blogging on your holiday? I must tell Shu that `this is possible'. She scolded me for bringing my notebook during our trip to Italy last February.

Yat, I like what you're doing. Guess I must get myself another nice MPV and travel around the region. Hmm.