Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Family in Jakarta

I have relatives in Jakarta and I managed to meet up with some of them. My great grandfather had 7 children and 4 of them were in Malaysia and the other 3 settled in Indonesia. According to the family tree I have relatives in Jakarta, Bandung and Acheh.

What makes me sad is that my dad (oh ya, this family I am talking about is from my dad's side) never bothered to bring us together. It is only now that we are coming together but not because of my dad but an uncle who has taken all the trouble and effort to make sure we know who our relatives are.

The gentleman on the left is Pak Saihan. He looks like my dad and late grandfather.


We are organising a family gathering this Hari Raya Haji. Thus is organised but us 8th generation kids. And you know what? The older generation folks are more excited about this. Of course right considering they were unable to bring their kids together or make sure their grandchildren know who each other are. Plans are well on the way for that and the family from Jakarta, Bandung and Acheh are coming. How exciting to meet people from far away.

What worries me about these things is you can walk on by and not know you are actually looking at your cousin or aunty. I have had that happen to me and I hope never again!

No comments: