Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jakarta Nov 2008

I went to Jakarta in 2005 with Bob and a few other friends but during that trip I didn't have much chance to see much of the city except for that street where they sold antique items and a mall that was near the hotel. Reason being, it was a business trip for Bob and since I wanted to tag along, I had to go with the programme lah (which meant a lot of hotel room sightseeing!)

So this time around, my trip to Jakarta with the Sista's was really an eye opener and fun to the max. From the day we landed till the day we departed it was non stop movements for us. There was hardly any free time except the last day where we treated ourselves to a nice massage and lulur session. Ahhh... that was really good. You could actually feel all the tired muscles soften.

But I did miss home very much, infact after the 3rd night (I was there for 4 nights) I was dying to come home already. I missed the kids so much, especially Ali. I have also more or less decided that there will not be a next time so soon and if there is, 4 nights is way too long. Ali has been very clingy since I came home. Expected isn't it!


This is me and my Sista's (from left) me, Suzana, Hazleen and Shariah. This was taken at Pancious where we had our last breakfast. They serve pancakes and waffles which just melts in your mouth

I saw so many parts of Jakarta, from busy to upscale to downtown. It is really a vast city but what I liked best about it, was that it was not humid at all! One night we were out having ice cream at the FX Mall which is a cafe mall. We sat outside and we didn't even sweat at all. If we were here sitting outside like that we would be bathing in sweat already. Even during the day, we were cool as ice!

Hazleen had this dish called Nasi Gurema at the Tanah Abang food court. The food court was really great because they served all these traditional authentic dishes. We were wary to order some of them because we had no idea what they are. The good thing about eating in Jakarta is that all places are halal except for a small selection of shops. Even the Chinese restaurants which is very different from Malaysia


Hawker style vendors selling all kinds of yummy looking stuff. This was in addition to the food stalls at the food court. This dish being sold is called kerak telur and is cooked over charcoal

We stayed with our Sista, Elona, who has lived in Jakarta for 10 years now. They have their own little Malaysian community and we met some of them. When you live so far from home it is important to have close friends who you can turn to easily. They are your family. Thank you for welcoming us

We like taking pictures and this one we took ourselves. Can't remember where it was but you can tell from our faces that we were having a good time!


I didn't bring a camera cause each Sista brought one and these pictures are theirs. I know there are many more pictures to come which I will "borrow" from them later for this blog.

No comments: