Friday, November 28, 2008

Kenduri kendara

It has been a terribly busy week for me. Last weekend I was up in Bukit Mertajam at the in-laws. Both parents in law left on Tuesday for the Haj so last Sunday there was a little kenduri doa selamat. I came back on Tuesday itself after sending them off to the airport. Two of my nephews from BM are staying with me for awhile since its the school holidays therefore been busy lah!

I have never been exposed to people from the kampung going for the Haj before. It was a real experience for me. The only time I remember of sending people off to Haj was my parents way back then until I can't even remember and my mom a few years ago. The first time there was no kenduri even and when my mom went we had a small doa selamat session.

But in the kampung it is different. When they know (relatives near and far and the neighbours) you are going for the Haj, they will come and visit in droves. It is like a kenduri 24/7 until you depart. There wasn't a time when there was no one in the house except the wee hours of the morning and after midnight.

All of us were kept on our toes, mixing drinks, serving food which my mom-in-law and neighbours/relatives cooked and prepared. They come to chat, to catch up, to send well wishes and simply to enjoy your company.

I tried to explain what it is like in BM to my mom when people go for the Haj but I doubt she understands. Hmmmm....actually most city folk who have never been exposed to it won't be able to understand. Even for me it is a new experience but not as bad since being married to Bob for 10 years has somewhat exposed me a little to the kampung life. People there are very community driven and their camarederie is really strong. They will go all out to help each other. Here in the concrete jungle, you would probably get a shock if you even see your neighbours out of the house!

I brought the camera back to BM in the hopes of taking lotsa pictures but we were all so busy we even forgot we brought it. I know the kids had the most fun as all their cousins were there. They played 24/7 it seems!

No comments: