Monday, July 14, 2008

Friendship

I love my friends. I love all my friends. I always try my best never to upset them, and never to hurt their feelings or to offend them. For me friends are very important people. They make me happy and they make me feel sane.

Sometimes when you have a group of friends it is not always easy to manage. There are bound to be some bodies that do not get along with other bodies. When this happens, you have to become a great manager of friends. There have been numerous times when I am put in the middle of friends. I hate this situation. But what to do? It happens and you have to try and manage. Of course you try to do your part by attempting to patch it up but if it is beyond patching up, what do you do or what can you do?

I always believe that it takes two people to do everything. Two people to clap, two people to dance, two people to tango and two people to fight. There are all types of characters and I have all types of friends. It is not always easy to adapt to each different personality but you learn to survivie. There are different characters and you like them for different reasons. If there were all the same it wouldn't be very exciting would it.

A few years ago, two of my good friends got into a little squabble. Actually I don't remember for what anymore. Of course I tried my best to get them to reconcile but they were not interested. They liked being apart. So they are no longer friends. I am however, still friends with them both.

Way back in school we used to go through these little situations of "I don't want to friend you anymore" but you grow out of it. I had a good girlfriend that didn't really like being associated with another good friend because of "triangle" reasons. A few months ago, I got in touch with the latter again and we became close. This with the knowledge of the other friend that was not too crazy about her. It got kinda uncomfortable for me sometimes because the first friend (let's call her N1) knew I was seeing the other friend (N2). So a few months after that I organised lunch and both N1 and N2 came. There was some horror on N1's face but I played the idiot. Know what? They hit it off! Of course initially there were some sarcastic remarks but in the end, they got along. They even ended up hanging out the rest of the afternoon together. Phew!

Now there is another situation where two of my friends are at loggerheads together. Both are stubborn in their own ways. I don't like this situation but I am in the middle. I choose not to be and I have put a distance in some ways. But one of them wanted to talk it out. The other party is willing but doesn't want to make the first move because it is irrelevant. Wonder what that means actually!

We don't have that many friends, especially ones that will take you good and bad. I am not even going to appeal to any of them to work it out. I think we are way too old for all that. It is up to them if they want it to work for them or not. It is not that I don't care, I just think it is a childish. Whatever that irks you about a person, heck! Just spit it out and get it out in the open. Not everyone can take criticism sure! but if the friendship is truly valued, it won't hurt at all because you know your friend cares about you enough to tell you what makes you not nice and yet accepts you anyway. If their thoughts are not well accepted, then ahhhh, the person likes masks and doesn't truly value your friendship.

I am in another situation where some friends are annoyed with another's la di da ways. That one I am going to take a diplomatic approach first. See if the subtle message gets across. If that doesn't then I have to think of something else!

The point here is, friends are few. Value what you have and take them for better or worse. It is a marriage of sorts too!

2 comments:

Matapena said...

Well life is not perfect and we are all not perfect. One thing about me is I treasure all my friends, especially the old ones, no matter of what religion or political beliefs. Life is too short for dramatic fallouts.

Anonymous said...

I've always hated confrontation...be it with friends, family or office staff. That's why maybe I'm a very rational person as I will try not hurt the other party's feeling by saying things that I might regret. Sometimes, give and take is also key to the whole meaning of friendship. But if we're always GIVING...that's when you come in to rescue ;)