Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Parenting

It is not that easy being a parent. You never know what you are doing is right or wrong. You never know if your child will grow up to be people of substance and people who can contribute to society.

Of course we all want the best of and from our child. We want them to grow up to be good and kind hearted people, people who are not corrupt, people who are straight and normal (whatever normal is) and people who are succesful in life. And of course we want them to be orang yang soleh dan beriman.

In reaching these targets there are many things that you have to do. Or at least you think they are the things to do. You send them for KAFA classes, music classes, tuition and school and the whole works. And at the same time there is that balance which they need when being a child which is play.

From day one my eldest child was born I worried about being a good parent and mother, worried that what I was doing was wrong or right. Some of my friends think I do things wrong because it is different from them. But who knows these days what is wrong or right.

Each child is different, in temperament, character and attitude. You have to tune yourself to their different styles and rhythm and believe me that ain't an easy job. I have three kids and sometimes I feel like tearing my hairs out.

In the middle of all that organisation and chaos of their life, you have to manage your own life too. Don't you? Hmmmmmm.....I often read about how important it s to make time for yourself and blah blah blah but honestly when you do find the time for yourself, you are probably all worn out. Now I have time to myself so I can write this post :))

Back to parenting skills, you want them to be all rounders so you try to give them a balance of activities. You want them to be smart so you look at all options to send them to the best schools. Sometimes they ned help in their studies because you don't have the patience or expertise to teach them so you send them for tuition. You want them to have a good religious foundation so you send them for the required classes.

But have we ever wondered what the child wants? Or is the child just too young to know what is good for them anyway? They like chocolates so they ask for more and you give it to them. Is that good parenting? They like to watch cartoons so you let them watch. Is that good parenting? They like to drink ice and coke so you give it to them. Is that good parenting?

Honestly, I don't know. Sometimes I really don't know. I go along with the daily routine and flow and just hope and pray that what I am doing is right.

I didn't go for tuition until I was in Form Four and only because I was failing in Maths (yes.....sad but true...) I didn't go for KAFA classes and all these religious guidance classes (ya, well.....) I did take up some co-curricular activities for the fun of it. I skipped school before. I did things I shouldn't have and I ate and drank things that I shouldn't have (by this I mean sweet stuff ok!) But hey! I turned out okay didn't I? My friends turned out okay too rite? We are all somebody too, we all in some way or other contribute to society what...

Everyday I wake up and hope for the best. I pray to God that he will give me strength to do the right things for my little children and for myself and family.

Amen.

No comments: