Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Language

My two girls are having their tuition class as I write now. I don't believe in stressing a child out by giving tuition and what not. I myself didn't go for tuition until I was in Form 3. But in this case, my girls need it cause we send them to a Chinese school. Picked one of the best too and am glad they got it.

Many people raise an eyebrow when I say I send them to a Chinese school. "Why?" they ask. Well, why not? It is good to learn a different language is it not? And they can pick up some of the other qualities too like discipline and being competitive.

Did you know that their school only allows those taking part in a sports to attend sports day? When Najihah was in Std 1 last year I kept on asking her when is her sports day. Only because I remembered my sports days in school and how I used to have so much fun lining up and all that. I was never much of an athlete but I used to take part in the other co-curricular activities like anglung band, tae-kwan-do demo's (yes, I took up tae-kwan-do .. until black belt 1st dan ok!) and later in secondary school cheerleading.

Finally Najihah came back with a letter saying sports day is on so and so a date but those who were not taking part need not come. Well, if you are not the chosen one to run or throw short put, your presence is not needed.

I was thinking what about school spirit and camaraderie? Guess that is not so important for them. Is it like that in every other Chinese school too?

Back to the original point, my daugthers can now read Mandarin quite fluently. They sound Chinese too. They write Mandarin quite beautifully and gracefully, almost as nice as their Jawi.

The other thing I worry about as they progress, they will be able to strategise against their parents in Mandarin! Sigh...worries of a parent, like I don't have enough things to worry about. Must make sure Ali learns Mandarin too and he must be my insider. Hahaha.....

No comments: