Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chicken Rice

This is an all time favourite dish of many of us. Am I correct? I for one am a great lover of chicken rice. There are several places that serve good chikcen rice. I know the Bukit Bintang stall is a favourite of many of us. There is also a shop near Atria in Damansara Jaya. That shop has been there for donkeys years and the rice is still yummy.

They say the artiste Linda Onn has a chicken rice stall somewhere near Ampang and it's pretty good but I have never tried it myself. The chicken rice at Lake Club is pretty good too. I remember Shangri-La's coffee house serves pretty good chicken rice too.

Where else eh??? Oh ya...I remember when I was studying in the USA, a friend's parents came to visit. Vincent Ang. And his mom made us chicken rice. It was delicious, wanna know why??? She chops all the fat from the chikcen in little dices, fries it and cooks it with the rice. Talk about healthy but it was yummylicious! Never attempted to try it again.

Since I love chicken rice so much, I learnt to cook it when I was studying in the USA. Only because you can't find it there and you want to eat it right! Over the years I have perfected the recipe, or at least I hope so.

Here it is:

CHICKEN RICE


boil chicken to get stock in water
water must be enough to use to cook the rice
in the water put in pounded garlic, shallots and ginger
add salt

once chicken boiled, take out
marinade chicken in oyster sauce which has been diluted with the soup
cook rice with the soup
add salt, for yellow colour, add kunyit

in soup add vegies u want
when ready to eat fry the chicken or cook in oven
use the oyster sauce to drizzle over the chicken when ready to serve
add sesame oil first in oyster sauce before serving if desired

for the chili, blend chili merah/masak
once blended, put on stove, add vinegar or limau nipis juice, sugar and salt to taste
if too thick, dilute chili with the soup
also add sesame oil if desired

of course you have the option of not frying the chicken and steaming it....


I forgot! The chicken rice fast food shops are not bad too if you want a quick and filling meal. Although they use MSG which makes you feel "pening" after. We should go on a quest for the best chicken rice dish!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aiyo lapar la after reading all this...should read after buka only