Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Once Upon A Time

Once Upon A Time, not too long ago ...


Hahahaha ... sounds so corny!


I used to have a friend, I say used to with some regret, some regret only. I am not one for throwing away my friends. I like to keep all my friends, and the ones I maybe don't get along with too well, I keep anyway cause I believe friends are too treasure. You might not be as close with them as you are with the other, but still, a friend is a friend.


But there is this one friend that I don't want. Did not want for some time now already but certain recent actions has confirmed that I am so glad she is not my friend anymore. How this situation came about is very sad and it shows perfectly how power and money can change a person.


I will not name this person as I am sure many of my friends will know who she is. I feel like talking/writing about her now because she is hurting a very good friend of mine now, perhaps at this very moment that I am sitting here writing.


I knew this friend when I was working at the NST. We became very close then, like "isi and kuku" my editors used to say. So much so that we used to ask for assignments at different times so we could accompany each other. She used to help me with many things, especially if they were politically related and me her with other things too. She didn't have a car and I used to drive her around. Even as far as Shah Alam from our office in Bangsar to see her mom. Basically, I would have done anything for her as one would expect of friends rite.

There was even a time when she was going through a bad spell with a guy and was on the brink of committing suicide. I remember some of us going out in the middle of the night to take her off the roadside and stayed up with her all night making sure she didn't do anything stupid like pop sleeping pills aor cut her wrist. Oh my! If she could only remember that incident. Those same friends who helped her then are the ones she has hurt ir is hurting most now. Why is it that you can easily forget something so significant and memorable in your life.

My relationship with her started taking a bad turn just as I was about to leave NST. I joined Tourism Malaysia after NST and it was during my tenure there that she really hit me. Till this day I am asking myself why? In the end it all boiled down to money.

As I was not expecting to have a job so soon after leaving NST, I was given the opportunity by the Backbenchers Club to produce a newsletter for them. It was a very exciting project for me and I brought it this good friend of mine to help me along the way and advise me so to speak. Little did I know that she had her own designs and she managed to stab me from the back with this little project. She approached them through the other door offering her services instead. The thing is I didn't know about it and went on my way still asking her for advice while production went on. All of a sudden she just stopped talking to me and refused to take my calls etc. It was a few months later that I found out about her "plans" and of course I was shocked!

After almost a year later, she called me one afternoon and started apologising and crying and what not. I remember what she said till this day. She was sorry she was not a better friend to me and she was sorry she did not show enough appreciation after all we had been through together. Well, of course I accepted her apology and thought all was hunky dory. HAH!

She then started a new job with a Minister and of course being her friend was happy for her. But for my friend, it was more power and more money, and of course the position. She has changed tremendously and she has no qualms about stepping on people's and her friends toes, and fingers as well, while getting to the top. In her quest for power, she has deliberately and undeliberately hurt all her friends. She has become the talk among all of us, even people she recently met. She is a bad hat that everyone doesn't want in their books.

I had "meetings" with her about 2 years back as we happened to be involved in the same project, somewhat, together. This was when I saw her true colours and it has hurt me deeply. She saw me and walked right past me. She sat a few seats next to me and pretended she didn't see me. She saw all our other mutual friends talking to me and she ignored me. I will remember all this for a long time, my friend. I am not the vindictive type and probably as you were doing this I forgave you for your arrogance and stupidity but my dear, I cannot forget.

She has reached the pinacle of her career now and I know she is loving every minute of this new job, position and its opportunities. I wonder how she got there as those people who hired her must be really stupid and blind to all the stories of her corruption and mishandling. In this new office of hers there is a good friend of mine who she is making sure is out of the way. She is doing anything and everything in her power to see she is shown the back door. Ahhhhhh, little does she remember that this friend is the one who saved her from slashing her wrists a few years back. Should she have left you in the streets to bleed to death you think looking at how you are treating her now.

It makes me really sad to tell you this story. Not because I want to share her ugly side but only because this is about friendship. Obviously this woman doesn't know the meaning of the word and I doubt she ever will which makes me sadder. She has had some good friends in her lifetime but she threw them all away because it was not what she needed anymore. Get what I mean?

I don't think she reads this blog but I wish for her someday to realise how many people she has hurt in her lifetime. There was this very good lady friend which he had during our reporting days, the days we used to wait for Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin after his post-Cabinet meetings. She had hurt this lady too, very badly after joining that certain Minister. That good lady passed away last year of cancer. I wonder if she knows that. The last time I met that good lady, she told me about what this woman did to her and another mutual friend. She had tears in her eyes when she told me that story. May Allah bless her soul.

I have tears in my eyes thinking about her and how much she is hurting this good friend of mine now. If you only knew that what you have now is so temporary. Is it really worth it for you to hurt all these people and friends along the way. I closed my door to you a long time ago. And it will honestly take a miracle of God for me to open that door to you.

I wish you all the best in life.

3 comments:

habok said...

yat,
macam ku kenal je who u are referring to... But anyways, it's good riddance to a bad fruit.

Anonymous said...

yes, we know yat. we've heard shocking stories too. but its better to leave these sort of people with their scheming and dealing. but they must always remember, whats tainted will become flesh and blood. its better to live clean and be poor rather than living the life but yet having sleepless nights.. as they say, one day, the past will always catch up.

Anonymous said...

yat, some friends have been asking me to read this entry of yours and i only had the time now to do so. reading the article really makes me sad and brings tears. i just feel hurt with what she has done to all her friends. tapi tak pelah life is a circle what goes up must come down. but what i am amazed with her is her ability to act as if she did nothing wrong. meanwhile u take care my friend

from syah